Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Per Grandma Potts request, this post copied from Belize Snowbird blog.

The weather forecast for the weekend was PERFECT! I called my sister, Barb, and her husband, Tom, and inquired as to whether they might be considering a little fishing trip on Saturday. And, as luck would have it...they were! And we were welcome to join them. Yahoo!

We bought our fishing licenses on-line and off we went to Big Marine Lake. Man, what a beautiful lake. Check out this house below.
Now, this is probably the most sprawling of the houses on this lake. The majority of the shoreline consists of trees and small cabins. Even though this lake is so close to the city, it has a very "up north" feel to it.

The first thing out on the boat, I got a little hungry. I thought I should measure our first catch.Ah yes, the elusive salami and spinach sandwich...average size at only 5.5 inches...but ever so tasty!

After a fabulous 2 hour tour of the shoreline, we decided to get down to some serious angling. Tom was generous enough to allow Chunky to use his favorite fishing pole.

Meanwhile, Ruthie rummaged around Barb's jewelry...I mean tackle...box (otherwise known as the "Falcon") and spotted this little beauty in there. This was so golden and sparkly.

Below you see our captain.Do you think Tom enjoys spending time on his boat?

Uh-oh...looks like we are going to quit fishing and start catching. This is a pretty good looking Northern that Chunky pulled in.

Next, we have a little Bass... Chunky seems very pleased with himself.

Below is a photo of the proud owners of the fishing boat...Barb & Tom. Then we have to get back to the fishing... Chunky has now pulled in a bigger Bass.
Yes...did I mention that they were LARGE mouth bass?

Big Marine Lake has a lot of loons on it. This was the best pic I was able to catch...not too great. But, you'll have to trust me, there were many of them. And lots of babies, too. Every once in awhile you would hear their erie wail...it's such a beautiful, haunting sound.

Now this sight below surprised us.A couple of horses cooling off with a little dip in the lake!

We really enjoyed the entire day. Wonder what has me with such a smile on my face? Well, first of all Mary and Tom had to check out our intended route. And then Tom opened that bad boy up!
Check out our rooster tail! We were flying.

And then, after a perfect day on the lake, we headed back to the launch and Tom pulled the boat back onto the trailer like it was nobody's business.Tom made it look easy, but somehow I don't think it is!

And below you see Barb and Tom's boat back on the trailer and ready to head home.It's easy to understand why they call them pleasure crafts...what a great boat!

Then, the fun wasn't over. Check out what we spotted on the way home. Cows! Man, this was a pretty good herd of Black Angus. Who would have thought we were a mere 15 minutes out of town???

What a great day.

4 comments:

grandma potts said...

I loved the spray in my face as you were scooting around on that Big Marine Lake! Thanks for sending these "so real" pix over from your blog, Ruthie. I know your cousins will love seeing you enjoying some lake time.. its in the "Low" blood! We're living the joy with ya!

Cat said...

wow chunky...... nice fish!!!!! i wish i could catch fish that size. maybe someday..... oh well for now ill stick to sunnys!!

Potts Chat said...

What a great day.
You must have slept well that night. Did you keep the fish? Tell Barb and Tom to check out our blog if she wants to see that
the potts' are doing.
Chris

Ruthie said...

Cat...I don't know if you noticed, but Chunky never touched the fish! Believe me, if he can catch these fishies, so can you.

And Chris...Barb is already checking out the Potts blog. I'm trying to get her to do one on the Day Family's happenings. So far no luck. You are the only one that I've gotten to start one up!! (So far...)